Super Teacher's Job is Never Done!

Super Teacher's Job is Never Done!
Photo courtesy of DiscoveryEducation.com

Teaching is the profession that teaches all the other professions. ~ Author Unknown

My goal is to reveal one teacher's humble journey of self-reflection, critical analysis, and endless questioning about my craft of teaching and learning alongside my middle school students.

"The dream begins with a teacher who believes in you, who tugs and pushes and leads you to the next plateau, sometimes poking you with a sharp stick called 'truth'." ~ Dan Rather



Saturday, March 17, 2012

Graphic Organizers for Informational Text

Some great resources to use for writing with students!


S—Q—3—R




Book/Chapter Title: Author:



Survey: Write down important titles and subtitles. Preview the pictures and captions in the reading selection.



__________________

____________________________________



______________________________________________________



______________________________________________________



Questions: Ask 3 questions based on your preview.

1._____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________



2._____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________



3._____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________



Read: Page Numbers: __________________________



Recite: Answer your questions

1._____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________



2._____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________



3._____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________



Review: Summarize the book and your learning in a few sentences. ______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Reading Informational Texts

Name: ___________ Title of Book: _____________________________________

Topic: ___________ Author: ___________________________________________

 When reading informational texts, readers:

• Preview the text to see what (if any) features the author uses.





• Activate prior knowledge by thinking about what you already know.





 When informational text is not broken into shorter sections, readers must use many strategies to make sure we understand the text. We must create “stop and think” points for ourselves.

• “STOP and THINK” after each paragraph:

 Was the information already known to me?



 What new information did I learn?



 Did I understand what I read? (Can I explain what I read in my own words?)



• “STOP and THINK”: Ask questions.



• “STOP and THINK”: Notice important vocabulary.

Readers think about what they already know about a topic

and ask questions before beginning to read a nonfiction text.

Something that I already know about ___________ is…

I know this because:





































Questions I had

BEFORE beginning to read were:

The answer I found

while reading was:



































Reading is Thinking! All the time!



Questions I had DURING

reading were:

The answer I found

while reading was:



































(AFTER READING)

Questions I STILL HAVE are:

One way I might find the

answer to my question is:



































NONFICTION THINKING

 I already knew that…



 New information I learned was…



 I understood what I read. This paragraph told about…



 A question I have is…



 Something I want to know more about is…

 I think this is an important vocabulary word because…This word means… NONFICTION THINKING

 I already knew that…



 New information I learned was…



 I understood what I read. This paragraph told about…



 A question I have is…



 Something I want to know more about is…

 I think this is an important vocabulary word because…This word means… NONFICTION THINKING

 I already knew that…



 New information I learned was…



 I understood what I read. This paragraph told about…



 A question I have is…



 Something I want to know more about is…

 I think this is an important vocabulary word because…This word means… NONFICTION THINKING

 I already knew that…



 New information I learned was…



 I understood what I read. This paragraph told about…



 A question I have is…



 Something I want to know more about is…

 I think this is an important vocabulary word because…This word means…

RAN Strategy for Nonfiction Learning

Readers continually confirm, change, and add to our knowledge about a topic when reading nonfiction.

Prior Knowledge

Confirmed?

Misconceptions

Learning

Wonderings



What I think I know about _________ Was this Confirmed when I Read?

Misconceptions: things I thought I knew but learned were incorrect in some way

New information I learned

Questions I still have about the topic

























Titles/Headings/Subheadings and Summary Sentences



Readers use chapter titles, headings, and subheadings in texts to help us form questions and make sure we are comprehending what the author wants us to learn or know.



We can also use the chapter titles, headings, or subheadings to help us create summary sentences.



Title/Headings/ Subheadings

Facts or Details in Section/Chapter

Summary Sentences











































Title/Headings/ Subheadings

Facts or Details in Section/Chapter

Summary Sentences

























































Title: ______________________________ Author: __________________________



Facts Questions Personal Response

No comments:

Post a Comment