Here are some resources to support your students in comprehending today's complex literary texts.
- Watch the video "Simplifying Text Complexity" which explores how the way we layer text impacts complexity.
- Check out "Getting Started with Questions of Text Complexity" in the Literacy Learning Exchange.
- Learn more from Eileen Murphy Buckley in her book 360 Degrees of Text: Using Poetry to Teach Close Reading and Powerful Writing.
- View the On Demand Web seminar package on text complexity.
- Join us for the live Web seminar "Collaborative Conversations: Meeting Speaking and Listening Standards" on April 14 with Douglas Fisher and Nancy Frey.
- View the #nctechat Archive on "The Importance of Collaboration."
- Join us this summer for the CEL Institute on "Critical Issues: Assessment" for focused, collaborative work with literacy leaders from across the country.
Nominate a colleague for the NCTE Outstanding Middle Level Educator Award (formerly the Edwin A. Hoey Award). The language arts magazine Scholastic Scope sponsors this award and provides a cash award of $2,500. Nominations must be submitted by the May 1, 2014 deadline.
Middle Level Administrative Liaison
National Council of Teachers of English
1111 W. Kenyon Road
Urbana, IL 61801-1096
800-369-6283 ext. 3612