Super Teacher's Job is Never Done!

Super Teacher's Job is Never Done!
Photo courtesy of DiscoveryEducation.com

Teaching is the profession that teaches all the other professions. ~ Author Unknown

My goal is to reveal one teacher's humble journey of self-reflection, critical analysis, and endless questioning about my craft of teaching and learning alongside my middle school students.

"The dream begins with a teacher who believes in you, who tugs and pushes and leads you to the next plateau, sometimes poking you with a sharp stick called 'truth'." ~ Dan Rather



Thursday, January 10, 2013

Critical Exploration in the Classroom

Saw this article, which made me think of critical exploration in the classroom:



My sense is that one obvious link is the SEED program's professed use of "the Socratic Method'. What is fascinating to me is the length of time that the program has been around. One of the early premature 'understandings' of critical exploration some of my students had a was simplistic identification and with and mapping the Socratic Method approach to teaching onto critical exploration, or vis versa. The always grew out of this simplification but the linkage has long intrigued me nonetheless.

What is even more fascinating and interesting to me is how established the program is in the educational establishment! I am wondering if there is any potential for piggybacking T440 stuff into such an established program!

This work likely emerges from Magdalene Lampert’s work. Lampert has been at University of Michigan (though may be staying on in Boston now, where she has been on sabbatical this past year) and is one of, if not the, most well known figure/s in this area. Her book, Teaching Problems and the Problems of Teaching is quite well known among math educators. Eleanor knows her from her MIT days, I believe.
In Susan Mayer's book, Classroom Discourse and Democracy: Making Meanings Together, she distinguisesh between Lampert’s approach, which she cites as an example of what she calls co-led learning and critical exploration in the classroom, which she cites as an example of student-led learning.
I agree that we absolutely need to understand our links to this work in the world of mathematics. It is a deeply related line of research and practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment