I thought you might find this message interesting, especially as it relates to teacher evaluation. Enjoy!
A Message from Superintendent Joshua Starr
I hope that you had a restful winter break and the New Year is off to a good start. I wanted to update you on the status of our Professional Growth System (PGS) and its alignment to changes in state law under the Race to the Top program.
- be based on those measures mutually agreed to by the Local Education Agency and the exclusive employee representative;
- yield, at a minimum, an evaluation of effective, highly effective, or ineffective;
- address professional practice for teachers to include planning, preparation, classroom environment, instruction, and professional responsibility;
- address professional practice for principals to include the eight outcomes in the Maryland Instructional Leadership Framework; and
- measure student growth, which for teachers and principals:
- should be a significant factor in the evaluation;
- should be based on multiple measures; and
- may not be based solely on an existing or newly created examination or assessment.