Super Teacher's Job is Never Done!

Super Teacher's Job is Never Done!
Photo courtesy of DiscoveryEducation.com

Teaching is the profession that teaches all the other professions. ~ Author Unknown

My goal is to reveal one teacher's humble journey of self-reflection, critical analysis, and endless questioning about my craft of teaching and learning alongside my middle school students.

"The dream begins with a teacher who believes in you, who tugs and pushes and leads you to the next plateau, sometimes poking you with a sharp stick called 'truth'." ~ Dan Rather



Friday, January 28, 2011

Snow Days = True Gifts to Hard-Working Teachers

I taught a total of two days this week. Monday was a professional day, Tuesday and Friday normal days, and Wednesday through Friday became bonus snow days. I really do think teachers get more excited about the prospect of a snow day than any student does.

How can you increase your chances of a snow day? I continue to learn more innovative, bizarre methods. I myself prefer the snow dance and "Don't expect anything!" approach, but the ice cube thrown into a toilet, salt over the shoulder, and wearing of PJs inside out methods are also popular with my colleagues.

I'd like to think my awesome snow dance had something to do with our snowstorm arriving earlier than expected this week. I woke up randomly at 3 a.m. on Wednesday morning and could tell it had snowed, even without my glasses on. For the next few hours, I could hear the ice steadily hitting the side of our building and windows. I, of course, became as excited as a six year old on Christmas morning about to go downstairs to open my gifts. I held my cell phone tight and waited, back in bed, confident that a snow day would be mine. At 4:59 a.m., I received that long awaited text message from a colleague indicating we indeed had the day off. The impressive part? She had even beat the county's automated text alert system! Now that takes talent.

So, you may ask, how exactly did I spend my bonus free time? Instead of sleeping excessively and spending all my money on Amazon.com, I decided to make Wednesday an UBER productive day. A decluttering seminar I took at First Class, Inc. last Saturday has motivated me to get organized, remove all my junk and unnecessary items, and experience a renewed sense of freedom with a clutter-free space. So, I spent the majority of my day finishing the decluttering process in our condo. I had filled trash bags and additional stuffed bags to donate to the Salvation Army to prove it.

Today, in celebration of my hard work, I decided to treat myself to lunch and a matinee with a fellow teacher girlfriend who was equally as excited to spend her snow day doing something fun. It was wonderful to reconnect with her and trade stories over difficult and always entertaining students. Not one to remain idle, I spent the evening back at home replacing all of the photo frames in our condo with newly printed photos from the local CVS. I am a photo freak, and it feels great to have some new, fresh photos from our travels in the past year adorning our home.

As I finally dug my car out of the snow in the back parking lot, I heard my coat pocket vibrating. Three colleagues had simultaneously informed me that we were off again on Friday due to emergency weather conditions and the continued massive power loss in our county. Rumor has it that the majority of the sidewalks and school parking lots are also still not plowed. Whoops! But hey, I'm not complaining!

Last year, DC had those two crazy "Snowmaggedon" blizzards that resulted in several feet of snow and a week off from school each storm. I was doubtful we would have ANYTHING like that this year, and we really haven't (yet), but this unexpected five-day weekend is a blessing. It is almost as if God is smiling down on us teachers and thanking us, albeit through the inconvenience of everyone else and wrath of Mother Nature.

Thank you, storm, and thank you, God, for affording me this time to get my sanity, mind, and sleep back in check. I can now fly to Houston tonight for my winter marathon (first of the year) with a clear mind, heart, and attitude. After all, we all could use a little extra "gift" time to declutter our lives, literally and figuratively. Be safe out there everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment