Super Teacher's Job is Never Done!

Super Teacher's Job is Never Done!
Photo courtesy of DiscoveryEducation.com

Teaching is the profession that teaches all the other professions. ~ Author Unknown

My goal is to reveal one teacher's humble journey of self-reflection, critical analysis, and endless questioning about my craft of teaching and learning alongside my middle school students.

"The dream begins with a teacher who believes in you, who tugs and pushes and leads you to the next plateau, sometimes poking you with a sharp stick called 'truth'." ~ Dan Rather



Monday, June 7, 2010

End of Year Chaos!

It's that time of year again -- the dreaded time of year when the end is in sight (yet still so far away), students think it's already summer vacation, the weather is becoming excruciatingly hot in the classrooms, teachers are counting down the days until the year's end, and everyone in general is at their wit's end. I am no exception to this great June phenomenon. I wish I was. 


Luckily, I have already accepted the fact that I will be running around the school like a crazy person for the next week, trying to somehow put our 8th grade promotion together with my co-team leader, organize 200+ kids for a Six Flags trip, run a poetry reading assembly, keep my students focused, oh, and try to actually teach and review for the English final exam. A tall order? I think so. Am I nervous it will all not get done? Honestly, I'm terrified.


You know it's bad when my husband asks how my day was, and I cannot help but just stare at him blankly. And I am NOT one to keep my mouth shut or my face expressionless. 


"That bad?" he asks.


"Eh, probably worse," I reply.


"Well, just think, next week, you'll really have earned your summer vacation," he retorts.


Ha! I then start thinking about all I have going on this summer and quickly stop myself. What's the point in stressing? One day at a time, Kay, one day at a time.....just keep swimming, just keep swimming!


I have a horrible habit of checking my school email at home, which usually just further increases my anxiety and insanity levels. Occasionally, though, amid all the junk in my inbox, there is a rare complimentary student or parent email that helps me realize why I put up with what I do on a daily basis. A former student had the heart to make my evening with this note:


-------



Have you been running lately? I know the Susan G. Komen Race has been going on; did you walk in that? I know that is a very big and important part of your life. I would always love to come into class and see all your medals and numbers posted up on the wall. I would always count them and just be amazed at how passionate you were for them! You are such an inspiration to me because you whatever you put your mind to, you can achieve it with great success!

I hope you have a great rest of the year! I hope to come visit very soon!

------

So remember this, fellow teachers -- just keep swimming, take one day at a time, and keep your head held high. No matter what kind of day you have, remember that you have made a difference in the life of a child. And let's face it; what greater gift is there in life?!

No comments:

Post a Comment