Super Teacher's Job is Never Done!

Super Teacher's Job is Never Done!
Photo courtesy of DiscoveryEducation.com

Teaching is the profession that teaches all the other professions. ~ Author Unknown

My goal is to reveal one teacher's humble journey of self-reflection, critical analysis, and endless questioning about my craft of teaching and learning alongside my middle school students.

"The dream begins with a teacher who believes in you, who tugs and pushes and leads you to the next plateau, sometimes poking you with a sharp stick called 'truth'." ~ Dan Rather



Sunday, May 16, 2010

Remembering My Aunt's Legacy

On May 11, my beloved Aunt Ellen passed away, her long battle with cancer finally ending peacefully. Obviously, her loss took quite a toll on me, as it did for my mother and the rest of her family. To us, Ellen was always the caregiver and person whom you could rely on to make everything OK and brighten even the darkest moment of a given day.


While honoring and remembering her life up North in Maine this past week, I had the chance to revisit a poem I wrote for her this past Christmas. Since she was one of my greatest teachers about life, I would like to share my poem with you:



For My Aunt Ellen 

My Aunt Ellen is to me the greatest person in this world,
the kind of rare star you hope to see glimmer in the night sky.

Aunt Ellen has the biggest heart with the most caring touch,
always knowing how to make you smile,
always placing others before herself.

Aunt Ellen's soul is made of pure love;
her heart exudes intense warmth and genuine hope.
In my eyes, Aunt 
Ellen will always be 
the most beautiful person to walk this Earth.

Aunt Ellen is the smartest and wisest woman I know,
whose life experiences speak for themselves.
I appreciate all the advice she has given me;
I will take her words with me all the days of my life.
The memories I will forever cherish,
from Nubble Light to ‘Gate to the Sunshine State.

For all Aunt Ellen has done,
I will forever be thankful.
My love for her only grows more
with each day that passes.

On a high pedestal is where I hold Aunt Ellen,
for she is admired more than she will ever know.

Having Aunt Ellen a part of my life is the greatest gift of all;
being in her presence is God's blessing to me.
Giving, helpful, loving, caring, selfless, and kind,
there is no one who compares.

Aunt Ellen is not only my favorite aunt but also
a leader, mentor, role model, and best friend.
To be like her would be my only wish.
Looking deep inside of her,
I see that strong, wise woman I hope to one day become.

No comments:

Post a Comment