Super Teacher's Job is Never Done!

Super Teacher's Job is Never Done!
Photo courtesy of DiscoveryEducation.com

Teaching is the profession that teaches all the other professions. ~ Author Unknown

My goal is to reveal one teacher's humble journey of self-reflection, critical analysis, and endless questioning about my craft of teaching and learning alongside my middle school students.

"The dream begins with a teacher who believes in you, who tugs and pushes and leads you to the next plateau, sometimes poking you with a sharp stick called 'truth'." ~ Dan Rather



Thursday, March 11, 2010

A sincere thank you to all teachers.....

In April, I will be running the American Odyssey Relay, which is a 200-mile endurance relay fro, Gettysburg, PA to Washington, DC that goes through many historic parts of the Civil War. The mileage is split among 12 runners riding in two vans. I have done two similar relays in DC (Yeah Ragnar Relay!) and am very excited for this adventure. Our team captain, Berford, is a wonderful person and leader who is equally as passionate about running and marathons as I am.


This evening, I received a touching email from him thanking me for the work I do in the classroom every day. I would like to post it here for your reading pleasure and to sincerely thank each of you who have chosen the difficult and often thankless teaching profession:
---------------------------

Hey Kay,
Teaching has to be one of the most difficult yet most rewarding professions in the world. I commend you and the thousands of other teachers (especially the good ones) who are out there working hard every day to make sure that our future generation is getting a quality education. I've often wanted to teach but I just don't know if I have the patience to do it. Maybe I can teach college or advanced level classes in high school because the students in these settings tend to be 'more serious' and really want to be in school.
I have all the respect in the world for teachers like yourself because you are working with kids who already have 'an uphill battle' in life. Unfortunately, many kids don't have good home environments and no real role models to help guide them. For you to take on the challenge to teach these 'often forgotten' children says a lot about you as a person and a lot about your character. It's funny, I haven't formally met you yet but I already view you as an inspiration and role model! :)
My personal experience may be somewhat similar to the kids that you teach. I grew up in inner city Houston and not in the best environment. I pretty much always attended sub-standard schools (well I should say that they were underfunded). Unlike many of my friends who I grew up, I had an intact family (both parents and 4 wonderful big brothers) and WONDERFUL TEACHERS who recognized my individual talents--which mainly was in the area of math & science. Consequently, I manage to fluorish academically amongst an environment of crime and drugs.
With all that being said, I would like to say 'thank you' for all of your students and for our  'movie star and athlete' struck society who don't have a clue of who the real difference makers in our society are (i.e. you and the countless other teachers out there).
Standardized tests don't prove much of anything in my opinion. I've seen far too many students who can pass tests but can't fill out a simple application. Nevertheless, continue to do your best and be the 'kick ass teacher' that I know you are!
Have a wonderful day! :)
Berford 

--------

Yes, there should be more teacher appreciation in every day, but we'll take what we can get! This letter is one such gem.

No comments:

Post a Comment